Monday, November 7, 2011

Thoughts from Thom

I’m not sure how it is for you, but my faith journey usually involves me doing those things I know I should be doing; reading my Bible, praying, being involved in church and the ministry at the BCM, etc. without a lot of direct divine intervention. I strongly believe that God speaks to us through His word, though His spirit and through the lives and testimony of brothers and sisters who walk this journey of faith alongside us.  For me, this has been the normative manner of God’s activity in my life.

What do you do when God clearly and directly speaks to you? How do you respond when you receive an obvious message from the Lord? God spoke very personally to me as Lori and I decided to follow His leadership in adoption. I felt God calling us to open our family to this opportunity and then saw as God confirmed this calling and repeatedly communicated His will for us to seek adoption in the Congo.  (ask me sometimes, there are some really funny stories!)

As with much of my journey of faith, I have no idea how this will end and ultimately what God is going to do in and through our family.  I trust that God will lead us to the child, or children, He has for us to welcome into our family and I hope that we will be aware of the lessons God has for us along the way.  Although I’m unaware of the specifics, I’m confident that there are lessons of faith, trust, perseverance, hope, disappointment, celebration, and sovereignty along the way. I’m equally sure, though often unseen and unheard, that the Father in heaven will be directing and guiding each step.


  “I will instruct and teach you in the way which you should go;
   I will counsel you with My eye always upon you.”
                                                                           Psalm 32:8

No comments: