Sunday, August 21, 2011

I am satisfied...



In the midst of the hard things of Uganda 
we saw again and again...

JOY
CONTENTMENT
THANKFULNESS

After our first full day at Canaan's Children's Home, David and I sat together. As we talked, the sun began to set and I wondered aloud when the children would eat dinner. He did not answer and we continued to talk. He asked me to tell a story and leaned close against me as I shared a story from the Bible.  

Some children began to move toward a nearby building and I asked him again if he needed to eat dinner. He pulled slightly away and turned his face towards mine. With a look and smile of contentment, he replied with words I will not forget: "I am satisfied." 

As we resumed storytelling, this mama's heart struggled to find a place in her brain for his comment. Yes, through God's provisions and sponsorship, he had the things he needed and more than most. However, by a "first world" (and simply worldly) standard, this sweet boy had much to want.

However, at Canaan's he is being taught and given the thing he needs most:  God's love for him. As much as this 10 year old can, he seems to understand David, the psalmist's words:

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;
My soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, 
in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and glory.
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My souls will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you."

Psalm 63:1-5


No comments: