Monday, May 23, 2011

Perfect Peace

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7

I was ironing last week and thinking about our van.  Helena (cleverly named by our 11 year old because she is a Pontiac Montana) has been with us for almost 7 years. It wasn't so long ago that I mentioned to a friend that she has 155, 000 miles and hasn't had any problems. My friend recalled that the 160,000 mark was the beginning of the end for them. "Whew! We've got more time" I thought. A month later a starter problem was quickly followed by the air condition. In May, of all times!

As I ironed, I became overwhelmed with frustration of the timing of the car problems. My frustrations quickly turned to anxiety. With a few busy weeks of travel coming up (in Helena), I felt pressed for us to make a decision (fix vs. buy) without having seriously discussed a potential replacement car or visited a car lot. 

While the anxiety increased, I began to pray. Okay, I actually just complained to the Lord!  In those quiet moments at our ironing board, however, I heard His response in my spirit: "Are you really going to let this come front and center in your life?"  Whoa! I felt both reprimanded and cared for by the Lord all at the same time.

I reflected on these words and realized I was letting this issue overshadow some of the amazing things God is doing in our life as a family and in ministry. Was I really willing to let this shift my focus from the priority of following and serving Him? Was I going to let anxiety rule and affect my mood and relationships?

I am thankful, for a Savior who hears our prayers, cares about the things that keeps us up at night, speaks into our hearts, and replaces our anxiety with His perfect peace. I am also thankful He has given me a husband who is seeking to guide us through this process with wisdom. Praying to learn to live through times like these in a way that gives Him glory and honor!
  
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."
Isaiah 26:3



No comments: