Thursday, January 13, 2011

As the deer...

Our neighborhood has over 2100 homes and we are blessed to have found a home that backs up to woods and the Harpeth River. This morning I was up early and, for the first time, caught sight of deer crossing through the woods. I, of course, grabbed my camera, and watched them for a while. They ate, looked for drink in the frozen standing water, and simple stood still, gazing around. 

I am a lover of nature and the beauty that it holds. Nature usually turns my mind to God and truths written in His Word. As I watched the deer, I was reminded of these verses:

As the deer pants for the streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
Psalm 42:1-2

Unlike the deer who are active in their pursuit for the things that sustain them, I often neglect the very One who gives me life and strength. I forget to seek God and spend time with Him. The result is often dissatisfaction, ungratefulness, and emptiness. I am left looking for more.

Yesterday's snow day gave me time to read my journal from the past year. I noted scriptures that had been helpful and important to me:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own  understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3: 5, 6)

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:28)

"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust Him and He will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him..." (Psalm 37:3-7a)


Interstingly, the Bible study at church last night included all of these verses. I am thankful for scripture and the relentless way God uses it to draw us to Him. I pray I will learn to be more relentless and consistent in my pursuit of Him!

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Love your new blog and words of encouragement and comfort from Gods word, love the deer and love you. Glad you got some time to slow down at home. I woke this morning to find 2 small bucks tussling in the backyard. It was so funny watching them try to prove who had bigger sprouts. Give my love to Pastor Thom, David and Katie. ( They're growing up too fast, as are mine)
Blessings,
Mary Ann Cook