Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Building Equity

Our family has been enjoying the slice of time between the holidays and the season where our schedules will become busier again. Though we have returned to the normal rhythms of everyday life, we are enjoying a slightly slower and calmer pace.

This is also true for our adoption journey. We have finished gathering documents and are waiting for the completion of our homestudy. We are grateful to have been supplied with all that we financially need to complete this phase. At an enjoyable pace, we are working through trainings and reading books to meet our adoption education requirements.

Soon, however, the pace will shift. Our calendar will be filled with campus ministry activities, Destination Imagination, Cub Scouts, retreats, and Spring baseball. We will enter a new adoption phase with more paperwork, grant applications, fundraising, and a referral for a little one(s) and the increased anticipation that will bring.

Yet, for this moment, we have been given the gift of calm. This morning's devotional in Jesus Calling spoke directly to me regarding this brief season. The words challenged me to not take if for granted, to use these quiet days wisely:

"Practice trusting me in quiet days, when nothing much seems to be happening. Then when storms come, your trust balance will be sufficient to see you through. Store up for yourself treasure in heaven, through placing your trust in Me. This practice will keep you in my Peace." 

As I read this, I reflected on what kind of equity we are building during this time. God brought to mind the moments after dinner when Thom leads our family in devotions and the brief but important conversations we have around our table. I thought of special times we are having with the Katie and David, just enjoying "girl" and "guy" time. I also thought of how the kids are talking more and more about the child(ren) God will add to our family and how their hearts are tender toward the sibling(s) they do not yet know.

I know that we have stormy days ahead of us (possibly tomorrow!) We will be more impatient with each other and our busy schedules, struggle forget to cram in devotions between dinner and baseball, become impatient and/or overwhelmed with the adoption process, and resent sharing rooms and toys. In these quiet days, I pray God will help us continue to trust Him and reflect on His faithfulness in ways that will build equity in Him, in His perfect peace.

 "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
 In God, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid.
   What can mere men do to me?
Psalm 56:3-4

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:20-21

No comments: