Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tears, Luggage, and Anticipation

"Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your path straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

I am thankful to have read the above verses when I opened my Jesus Calling devotional book this morning. I have experienced a lot of different emotions today as I said good-bye to my children and husband. I knew it would be hard, but I didn't realize how difficult it would be to walk through airport security and to my gate without them. I am to thankful to know God hears our prayers and cares about the concerns of our hearts. I know I can trust Him to be with each of us as we are apart! 

I am happy to say that the luggage passed the weight limit (50 lbs. each) at the airport! Thom did a great job of helping me pack the luggage and Katie had fun helping. We rearranged bags until the weight was distributed between the 2 large duffel bags. The backpack with my belongings is 22 lbs and I managed to cram it under the seat in front of me on the flight to DC.

Tonight I am at a hotel in DC with most of my teammates. I had dinner with a group going from Birmingham, AL, and spent some time talking with our team leaders. It was fun to finally meet others on the team and start getting to know each other. Tomorrow we head to the airport by 9:00. Our plane leaves at 12:00 (EST), which will be 7:00 pm Uganda time. Our flight will be 12 hours to Ethiopia and another 2 hours to Uganda. I am hoping for some good sleep!

I look forward to finally being in Uganda after so many months of preparations. I cannot wait to see what the Lord has prepared for us to do and learn. I am praying that throughout this experience that the Lord will  help me stay focused on Him and to place my trust in Him.

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3

(This verse was also in my devotional today. Always thankful for God's Word and His promises!)

No comments: